With so many activities to do and the heat making its thing, the least anyone wants to do is to spend a couple hours in the kitchen, so warm and hearty foods usually come in second. For instance, a warm and creamy plate of oatmeal can be the best breakfast you could ask for during the cold months, but it suddenly looses all its attractiveness when it gets hot outside. This doesn’t mean you have to miss out on all the goodness that this wonderful cereal has to offer to your health.
Today’s recipe is a super refreshing, yet nutritious and satisfying drink, that is a great way of incorporating oatmeal into your summer menu. I grew up drinking this, as it is a very popular drink in my all-year-round-warm Caribbean island, the Dominican Republic.
Nothing says summer like an icy glass of limeade, but add soaked oatmeal and vanilla to it and you get an equally refreshing, delicious and good for you drink that can be made into Popsicles, for the hottest days of summer yet to come.
Oatmeal And Vanilla Limeade
1 cup whole oatmeal (I used organic rolled oats)
1 l. drinking water (4 cups)
Juice of 3 medium limes
1/8 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup organic cane sugar (or the sweetener of your choice)
1. Using a blender or a food processor, grind the oatmeal to a powder consistency and transfer to a big jar or bowl.
2. Add the water and let it soak in the fridge overnight. This will ensure you get a smooth, not grainy texture.
3. Strain the oatmeal water and add the rest of the ingredients (you might want to try adding half the sugar first and from there adjust to your taste).
To make Popsicles:
1. Serve the drink in shot glasses or popsicle molds.
2. Freeze and when they are half way done (1½-2 hours), insert a popsicle wood stick in the middle of the glass .
3. To unmold, carefully run every glass under warm water (or place all the glasses in a big container with warm water to almost cover them) until it loosens and you’re able to remove from the glass.
Enjoy and I hope you have a great summer!